Aim: To make butt-welding using TIG welding equipment.
Equipment And Material Required:
Inert gas (helium, argon) welding outfit, MS Sheets 150x50x5mm (2No)
Tools Required: Wire brush, hand gloves, and chipping hammer, spark lighter.
1. Inert gas valve on the torch is opened slightly and lightened with the help of a spark lighter.
2. The torch tip is to be positioned above the plates so that white cone is at a distance of 1.5mm to 3mm from the plates.
3. Torch is to be held at an angle of 300 to 450 to the horizontal plane.
4. Now filler rod is to be held at a distance of 10mm from the flame and 1.5 mm to 3 mm from the surface of the weld pool.
5. As the backward welding allows better penetration, back ward welding is to be used.
6. After the completion of welding, slag is to be removed by means of chipping hammer, wire brush.
1. Ensure that torch movement is uniform.
2. See that the joints are extremely clean.